Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Cushing's, The "Gift" that Keeps on Giving

I had an eye doctor appointment yesterday. No problems, just a routine check, maybe update my contacts to a newer version.

I was completely not ready when the doctor said "cataracts" to me. Say what? I'm not that old.  He mentioned a few other things like macular degeneration but that was less distressing to me somehow than the Cataract Word.

They're not bad yet.  They're slow growing.  I won't need to do anything about them for 7-8 years.  AARRGGHH!

My mother is waiting for her cataract surgery.  Maybe we can do this together, a bonding thing.

When I got home and all the eye drops had worn off, I looked at the brochures he had given me.  One of the symptoms was light insensitivity.  So that explains why I have trouble first thing in the morning and it hurts to open my eyes and other bright lights can be painful.  It's nice to be validated but...

Then, I turned the page to find contributing factors and came upon the word STEROIDS.  Not again!  Almost all the problems in my life start with the word steroids.  I did a search of the Cushing's Help boards for "Cataracts" and came up with 84 entries.  How could I have missed this?

From Cigna.com:

The eye conditions glaucoma and cataracts also may occur in Cushing's syndrome. In Cushing's disease (tumors on the pituitary gland), your field of vision can be affected. You may have loss of side, or peripheral, vision.

Cataracts72dpi

Cataracts-street-scenes

No comments: